Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Kickstarter!

I really like this website Kickstarter. It's a very cool way to raise money for your projects, and there is some awesome stuff on there.

In a nutshell, someone posts their project with a minimum amount of money they need to raise, and a time frame to do it. They offer different rewards at different contribution levels, and if the project hits it's goal, you're billed. If not, no one gets billed. It's pretty easy to do if you have an account on Amazon as well.

I get a good feeling by supporting a project on Kickstarter - I know that a small portion of the sales goes elsewhere, but I'm helping someone accomplish what they are trying to do, directly, and I get a cool perk from it - and I get to decide how much I'm willing to support something.

So far I gave $5 bucks to a struggling community garden in Philadelphia in exchange for some herbs, and totally snagged a killer piece of art by John T Unger, an artist who's work very much appeals to me. His project completely took off as when he jumped into twitter and started raising awareness for some evil corporation that is ripping off his ideas and trying to sue him in addition. I was lucky enough to feel like I got in on the ground floor and am really happy to help, make the connection, and have a fire imp displayed in my room.


I have to admit that knowing a website like this exists is very encouraging. In fact, I've started brainstorming if I would be able to raise some 800 - 1000 bucks for a new computer, the promise being that I would use said computer to do something?

Brainstorming.....

No comments: