Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Yoga and Acupuncture are a delicate mix...

So fer tha past 6 weeks, ahve been daein Bikram Yoga which is hard as hell. Ta continue along on tha hellish metaphor, its also done in heat...100 - 110 degrees farenheit ta be a lil more specific. Tha instructors are like drill sergeants, constantly pushing you hardah, n tha workout is EXACTLY tha same EVERY TIME! 2 breathing exercises (one at tha beginnin, one at tha end), and 24 postures, more er less half standin n half on tha floor. Exact same ordah, exact same length, w. people shoutin commands at you. Ah don't RECOMMEND Bikram, but ah really like it. Must be tha yin to my yang, er ratha tha M to my S. It also reminds me of wrestling in high skool, altho less gross n w. bettah scenery.

Ah have also been gittin acupuncture fer a lil ovah a month ta help w. my right hand/wrist/arm/shouldah injury. Ah fawked my right wrist up a few years ago at a desk job, n its been gittin worse until when ah moved here n decided ah NEEDED ta dae somethin. Ah git acupuncture at tha Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine Clinic in downtown Berkeley cuz its VERY CHEAP (as in, if you make an appointment with 24 hours er less, n have a referral from one of tha interns, it is only TEN DOLLERS!)

Both of these thangs are helpin my wrist and arm n shoulder feel much much bettah thank you, but today ah learned that while Acupuncutre AFTAH Bikram is AWESOME, but Acupuncutre BEFORE Bikram is AWFUL!

Somethin about stirrin up all that chi was just NAWT good fer me today. Ah had my worst class EVAH, eventually leaving 3 postures early because it was becoming tortuous (n nawt in tha good way). Ahve nevah left early before, but ah just couldnt relax.

This is especially unfortunate b/c my cheapie 1st-month trial will be ovah on Friday. Howevah, ah have made some pretty good improvement since beginning:
1)My first class, ah could nawt dae camel pose, n now ah ken
2)Ah am able ta lean back VERY FAR now
3)Ah ken ALMOST git intae "toe stand" (gittin out is anutha thang altogetha)
4)ah unnerstand how triangle is supposed ta werk, even if ah cant' dae it rite
n today
5)ah was able ta lock my elevated knee (briefly)in Standing Head to Toe

Ah also dae bikram w.o a shirt (cuz its fawkin hawt in thar) n it always amuses me ta be called "Dragon Tattoo."

1 comment:

hittjen said...

I think I will now only refer to you as "Dragon Tat"